Well guys…I think I’ve gone and got Shannon addicted to pickled onions. There’s rehab for that right?
While I’ve made these quite a few times in the past, it was the first time making them with Shannon, and I think I can say she was pretty surprised. Not just with how easy they are to make, but how addicting these little pink slices of heaven are! You may, like Shannon, find yourself hovering back and forth from your food prep, to this jar of pickled onions, snacking on a few slices (or more than a few…) while your main dish is getting ready. Embrace it, it’s okay! We are both guilty of it.
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 11/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp mustard seed (optional)
- 1 tbsp black peppercorn (optional)
- Boil 1 cup of water (I use an electric kettle).
- Place thinly sliced red onion into a mason jar, add the rest of the ingredients, and stir.
- Let rest at room temperature for 1 hour, then store in refrigerator.
- Can be kept up to 2 weeks.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
These are pretty much as easy as making a cup of coffee. Boil some water, pour it into something, enjoy. That’s not to say you should make these every morning. Of course, you may want to ;).